Sunday, August 2, 2009

Going East

We are on the train from Austria to Budapest, probably riding the same rails on which my great grandfather (who I am named after) traveled a hundred years ago, leaving Hungary for good

When my parents were my children’s age, the fields out of our windows were filled with blood and terror. Stories of the holocaust are in my head. But as we roll across the countryside today, these thoughts are interrupted by the sound of singing.

The voices belong to young Germans, friends from Hanover on their way to a camping trip in Romania. They explained that the song in the video below is a German folk song. The lyrics tell the story of men who stood up against Hitler during World War II.

Looking out the window, it's clear that the fields are peaceful now, simply places crops grow in the sun.

I'm enjoying traveling and I'm grateful to be able to show my children where we are from.

(This video is messy, but I like that it also shows what a carnival train travel can be. People playing music, others playing cards, a man selling tchotchkes, an interesting ticket taker. You rarely get this kind of entertainment in a plane or a car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment